Monday, March 31, 2008

design

Justo en este momento de mi vida, en el que intento encontrar (o mas bien inventar) mi rol como “diseñadora, me encuentro con esta cita de Phillip Starck en mocoloco.com, uno de mis blogs favoritos:

“I was a producer of materiality and I am ashamed of this fact. Everything I designed was unnecessary. I will definitely give up in two years’ time."
(Entrevista publicada en el Germany's Die Zeit weekly)


Nunca me he considerado una persona “anti-consumista”, pero me niego a pensar que como aspirante a diseñadora industrial no me quede más que hacer ejercicios meramente estéticos. O mejor dicho, producir más basura bonita que no servirá para nada.

En unos meses, estaré —por fin— libre de responsabilidades escolares y enfrentándome a lo que, según muchas personas, me han estado preparando durante toda mi vida. Aún no se con certeza qué es lo que quiero de ese “mundo real” tan horrible y desgraciado como todos lo cuentan (la vida es una perra). Pero por lo pronto lo que si se, o quiero pensar gracias a Sophie Krier y a Gabriella Gomez-Mont, es que el diseño se trata de regalar. Tal vez no dinero, pero si experiencias; sensibilizar en un compromiso mas allá de lo estético, más enfocado a lo ágil, inteligente y sustentable.

¿Para qué seguir dos años más si serán dos años de arrepentimiento? Si se tiene un nombre tan importante como el de Phillip Starck, valdría la pena intentar cambiar la concepción sobre el industrial.


Aqui les dejo un par de ejemplos que utilizan un diseño inteligente, social y critico.


In this time of my life, when im trying to find out (or maybe invent) my roll as a designer, I found this Phillip Starck quote at mocoloco.com, one of my favourite blogs:

“I was a producer of materiality and I am ashamed of this fact. Everything I designed was unnecessary. I will definitely give up in two years’ time."
(Germany's Die Zeit weekly)

I have never considered myself as an “anticonsumer”, but I refuse to believe that as a aspirant designer, I have no other way than to make some aesthetic exercises. In other words, just to produce more beautiful junk.

In a few months, i'll finally be out of school and facing this horrible and ungrateful place that for all of my life people have been preparing me for (life is a bitch).I’m not sure yet what do I want from this “real world” but for now what I know, thanks to Sophie Krier and Gabriella Gomez-Mont, is that design is about giving. Maybe not money, but experiences; to make a commitment further than aesthetics, but more focus on simple, smart and sustainable design.

Why having to regret for two more years? If you have an important name as Phillip Starck, maybe it should worth trying to change the wrong idea in consumers about industrial design.


Here are some examples of smart, critic and social design.



www.godoylab.com
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

www.foldschool.com
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: